Friday, March 06, 2009

The Elephant Song

The trip to Kuala Gandah has actually evoked my memory on 'The Elephant Song', or rather, the lesson that I had with my English teacher, Mdm. Rumini, when I was in Astopunk back in 1986 or '87. As we walked on the land of the elephants in Kuala Gandah, this song had been playing in my mind over and over.

It was a moving lesson, singing and comprehending the song, with the discussion on the cruelty of poachers and the elephants' conservation. I was deeply affected by the song and the discussion that I had felt like crying... couldn't tell if I had actually cried indeed.

Years later as a teacher in Kuala Rompin, Pahang, a student had offered me some meat of a mouse deer which he claimed to have hunted it himself. Well, it was tempting... but as I was teaching the topic "Conservation of the wild animals", it just didn't feel right for me to accept it. I had recalled this song then, and had searched high and low for it so that I could teach it to my students - hoping that I could somehow contribute to their awareness to stop the killing of these precious animals. I couldn't lay my hand on this song then, though... That was the year 1993 and I wasn't exposed to the Internet yet.

Luckily the technology is here today for a teacher like me to find almost any songs she needs for her classroom. Today, I've found this song that had touched and still touches my heart and my conscience. I'm thankful for the technology and thank you to everyone who has made it possible.

No comments: