Friday, August 06, 2010

Practising the future simple

I usually use this song after teaching the future simple 'will + infinitive'.

We use this structure when we make predictions based on our thoughts and experience, and when we make spontaneous decisions, such as when we make offers, refusals or promises.

After teaching the students all of these, I would do a reading text "Promises, promises" from a textbook, New English File, and follow it up with this song as an enrichment activity.

First, the students would listen to the song. This would also be a practice of listening to the main ideas:


I'll Be There For You
Bon Jovi

I guess this time you're really leaving
I heard your suitcase say goodbye
Well as my broken heart lies bleeding
You say true love, it's suicide

You say you've cried a thousand rivers
And now you're swimming for the shore
You left me drowning in my tears
And you won't save me anymore

I pray to God you'll give me one more chance, girl

I'll be there for you
These five words I swear to you
When you breathe I want to be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
Steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what a love can do
I'll be there for you

I know you know we're had some good times
Now they have their own hiding place
I can't promise you tomorrow
But I can't buy back yesterday

And Baby you know my hands are dirty
But I wanted to be your valentine
I'll be the water when you get thirsty, baby
When you get drunk, I'll be the wine

I'll be there for you
These five words I swear to you
When you breathe I want to be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
Steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what a love can do
I'll be there for you

Solo

And I wasn't there when you were happy
I wasn't there when you were down
I didn't mean to miss your birthday, baby
I wish I'd seen you blow those candles out

I'll be there for you
These five words I swear to you
When you breathe I want to be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
Steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what a love can do
I'll be there for you


Then, I would ask them some display questions to deduce the main ideas from them. For example:
1. Who sings this song? (Naturally, some would answer Bon Jovi, but I would wait until someone answers: a man)
2. Who does he sing this song for? (Expected answer: a girl, or his girlfriend, or his wife)
3. What is happening in this song? (Expected answer: the girl is leaving him)
4. How do you know? (Expected answer: I heard your suitcase say goodbye. (Here, I would usually introduce them a bit to the literature stuff like 'personification' - can a suitcase really say goodbye?))
5. Why is she leaving him? (Expected answer: He's never been there for her)
6. How do you know? (Expected answer: I wasn't there when you were happy, I wasn't there when you were down, I didn't mean to miss your birthday...")
7. What is he trying to do? (Expected answer: to stop her from leaving/to give him a second chance)
8. What are the five words that he promises her? (Expected answer: I'll be there for you)
9. What are his other promises? Are they logical? (Eg. When you breathe, I wanna be the air for you - open discussion)
10. What do you predict will happen next? Will she stay with him? Would you? (Open discussion)

Remember to be really patient and allow your students some time to derive their thoughts.

Finally, after they have understood the song, allow them to have some fun - singing the song with you! :)

No comments: